This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8711 / 52°52'16"N
Longitude: -0.777 / 0°46'37"W
OS Eastings: 482420
OS Northings: 331107
OS Grid: SK824311
Mapcode National: GBR CP0.VTR
Mapcode Global: WHFJP.1397
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190013
Location: Belvoir, Melton, Leicestershire, NG32
Civil Parish: Belvoir
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Knipton (High Framland Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 8231-8331 BELVOIR CHURCH HILL
44/219 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C13 west tower and chancel, mid C14 nave and north aisle,
south aisle 1869 by W. Thompson of Grantham. Another restoration 1845-46.
Ironstone with limestone dressings. Nave roof of copper (1965), rest of
lead. 4 stage tower with clasping buttresses. Flat subsidiary buttresses
to ground stage to north, south and, through 2 stages, to west. In middle
of west buttress a lancet. 2 C19 lancets flank south buttress. Lancets to
ringing chamber and late C14 limestone belfry stage: 2-light C19 windows.
Side buttresses to aisles. South porch is gabled. North aisle windows are
of 2 lights, with trefoil heads and encircled quatrefoil vesicas. North
aisle extends to east end of chancel with a 3-light east window. 2 and 3-
light south aisle windows. 4-light Perpendicular chancel east window.
Interior. 3-bay arcade on lozenge piers: sunk quadrant mouldings to north
and south and engaged shafts east and west, with capitals. Double
chamfered arches. South arcade 1869. Triple chamfered tower arch on
polygonal responds with polygonal capitals and bases. Octagonal font.
Plain stem and bowl with 4 arches and niches. Under bowl are faces and 4-
lobed globular ornaments. Double chamfered chancel arch on circular
responds with waterholding bases. C19 nave roof of principals on arched
braces dropping through wall posts to corbels. Traceried spandrels.
Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. North chancel
chapel entered from chancel through semi-circular double chamfered arch.
Filleted circular responds on waterholding bases and with undercut drum
capitals. Capitals with nailhead decoration. Dog-tooth hood mould. In
chapel a C13 trefoiled piscina. C19 chancel roof as nave but without
traceried spandrels and with straight braces to corbels. 2 late C15
poppyhead benches and 2 further bench ends without poppyheads. Set into
west wall of south porch is an alabaster slab commemorating John Eyre,
1558: incised figure of infant in swaddling clothes with surrounding
Listing NGR: SK8242031107
Other nearby listed buildings