History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Anderson and Sons Butchers Andreson and Sons Butchers Lemon Blue Gift Shop Oliver Fisher Estate Agents the Cornerhouse Flat the Cornerhouse Flats the Cornerhouse Offices the George Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cranbrook, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0965 / 51°5'47"N

Longitude: 0.5357 / 0°32'8"E

OS Eastings: 577651

OS Northings: 136079

OS Grid: TQ776360

Mapcode National: GBR PTC.48Q

Mapcode Global: FRA D607.2K7

Entry Name: Anderson and Sons Butchers Andreson and Sons Butchers Lemon Blue Gift Shop Oliver Fisher Estate Agents the Cornerhouse Flat the Cornerhouse Flats the Cornerhouse Offices the George Hotel

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 13 April 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169093

Location: Cranbrook, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst

Built-Up Area: Cranbrook

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Cranbrook

Listing Text

TQ 7736 SE CRANBROOK STONE STREET
(South West side)
1608/10/242
The George Hotel,
Anderson and Sons Butchers,
Lemon Blue Gift Shop,
09.06.1952 Oliver Fisher Estate Agents,
The Cornerhouse Offices,
And The Cornerhouse Flat

GV II*


Also listed under: HIGH STREET (South side)
Cloth hall, now Inn, shops, offices and flat. Circa 1400, altered in(16, extended in (17 and refronted to left 1n (19. Clad in (18. Timber-framed with red brick ground floor and decorative tile-hanging on first floor, except 2 brick bays at entrance left. Wooden eaves cornice to plain tiled half-hipped roof. Two tall brick stacks to left and low stack to rear to right of centre. Six dormers irregularly spaced, that to extreme left wider, and all hipped except that to extreme right. Two storeys and attics. Regular 11- window front, glazing bat sashes with open boxes. Double shop-front to left with tiled surround, inset off-centre doorway with glazed doorway and deep fascia-board above. (19 double bowed shop front to right, with central glazed door topped by oval transom-light and flanked to left by later (19 shopfront with central glazed door. In centre and to left 6 glazing bar sashes with panelled doors to right of left- hand most window and to left of 5th window from left. Balcony over this portion, under the 3rd to 8th windows, with cast iron decorative railings and plastered cove beneath. Interior: Room on first floor now subdivided, used until (19 for the Justices' Sessions. Two-flight timber staircase of circa 1670, with square newel posts, flat-topped rail and short bulbous turned balusters.

Listing NGR: TQ7764736080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.