This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4252 / 53°25'30"N
Longitude: -2.9714 / 2°58'17"W
OS Eastings: 335544
OS Northings: 392489
OS Grid: SJ355924
Mapcode National: GBR 77G.74
Mapcode Global: WH877.B58G
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 12 July 1966
Last Amended: 19 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 214256
Location: Liverpool, L5
Electoral Ward/Division: Everton
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Everton St George
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3592 HEYWORTH STREET
19/592 Church of
as Everton Parish
12.7.66 St. George).
Church. 1812-14. Thomas Rickman with John Cragg. Ashlar,
in Perpendicular style. West tower, nave and short chancel.
Flanking low porches to tower and chancel. Tower has
diagonal buttresses; single pointed arched door, 3-light
window above. 3-faced clock and 3-light bell openings part
glazed and part louvred. All windows have cast iron
tracery. Open traceried battlemented parapet with pinnacles
at angles. Flanking porches have 2-light window; entrances
to north and south have carved spandrels and label moulds.
Nave of 7 bays with buttresses and tall 3-light windows.
Shallow chancel with 6-light window. Low battlemented side
bays; S entrance. Interior: Nave has arcades of cast iron
with traceried spandrels. Aisles have galleries with
traceried panelled fronts. Cast iron traceried roof on iron
columns and arch braces to nave and galleries. Tie rods
across width of church. C19 stained glass to E window and W
end of balconies, by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. The
cast iron structure is an important early example, the
result of the encouragement of John Cragg, owner of the
Mersey Iron Foundry.
Listing NGR: SJ3554592490
Other nearby listed buildings