History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Badby House (Our Lady of Passion Monastery)

A Grade II Listed Building in Badby, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2449 / 52°14'41"N

Longitude: -1.1792 / 1°10'45"W

OS Eastings: 456136

OS Northings: 261059

OS Grid: SP561610

Mapcode National: GBR 8S7.8P1

Mapcode Global: VHCVC.HTYY

Entry Name: Badby House (Our Lady of Passion Monastery)

Listing Date: 18 January 1968

Last Amended: 29 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075271

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360650

Location: Badby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Badby

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Badby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP56SE (West side)
4/3 Badby House (Our Lady of the
18/01/68 Passion Monastery)
(Formerly listed as Badby
- II
House Built 1826 for Charles William Watkins. Rendered brick, sandstone
dressings, hipped slate roof, rendered brick internal chimneys. 2 storeys.
3-window entrance front has double-leaf part-glazed door within single-storey
portico in antis with two unfluted Greek Doric columns, approached by 3 moulded
steps, columns and plain entablature of stone. Portico is in recessed central
bay. C20 windows. Lower 2-storey service wing to right extended at right angles
to provide link with the large C20 addition housing chapel which is not of
special architectural importance. 5-window garden front to left side has
recessed 3-window centre with central part-glazed garden door. Outer bays have
tripartite windows, stone plinth, window sills and storey band. Rear elevation
has lead rainwater heads inscribed WW/1826. Interior: inner staircase hall has
stone floor and stone cantilever staircase with cast-iron balustrade and
wreathed and ramped hand rail. The Drawing Room has a chimney piece of white and
coloured marble with steel and brass grate, probably late C18.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.100).

Listing NGR: SP5613661059

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.