This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.224 / 52°13'26"N
Longitude: -1.182 / 1°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 455970
OS Northings: 258737
OS Grid: SP559587
Mapcode National: GBR 8SF.FZG
Mapcode Global: VHCVK.GCGF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360660
Location: Badby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Badby
Built-Up Area: Badby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Badby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BADBY CHURCH HILL
SP5558 (North side)
18/15 Church of St, Mary the Virgin
Church. C14 and C15, tower rebuilt 1709. Restored 1880 by office of E.F. Law.
Uncoursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar and coursed squared ironstone with
limestone and sandstone dressings. Lead and copper roofs. Chancel, organ
chamber, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. Chancel has east window of 3
lights with cusped intersecting tracery, a 2-light window to north with
Y-tracery., 2 similar windows with cusped Y-tracery to south and small
hollow-chamfered priest's door. Organ chamber to north-west end of chancel
continues north aisle and has 1-light east window and re-used 2-light window to
north with cusped Y-tracery. Nave has impressive clerestory with continuous row
of 10 2-light Perpendicular windows with straight heads to both north and south;
2 early C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes to north and south. North aisle has
2-light Decorated window to east of blocked double-chamfered north door, a
2-light window with cusped Y-tracery to west. South aisle has 3-light Decorated
east window and to south a 4-light window with reticulated tracery to east of
porch, a 3-light window with straight head and reticulated tracery to west.
South door has chamfered pointed arch. South porch has diagonal buttress,
1-light windows north and south, moulded door with 4-centred head and stone
coped gable with kneelers. West tower of 3 stages has 2-light C19 west window,
south door with round-headed arch with imposts and keyblock, a circular window
with keyblocks and similar windows at higher level. Bell chamber openings with
coupled round-arched windows with keyblocks and flat Y-tracery, a battlemented
parapet and obelisk pinnacles with ball finials and gilded weathervanes.
Chamfered plinth. Angle buttresses as far as belfry stage, limestone pilaster
buttresses above. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia with hollow-chamfered
arches and hood moulds resting on shafts with capitals and piscina with cusped
arch on responds. Early C18 communion rail with turned balusters. Matching
communion table in vestry behind organ. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has
5-bay arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and double-chamfered arches.
Capitals of half-columns to east and west ends of north aisle have ball-flower
ornament and that to east has inset piscina with nodding ogee head. Aumbry at
north-east of north aisle. C19 tower arch. C19 tie beam roof to chancel; nave
roof mostly C19 with moulded tie-beams but some timbers and moulded wall plate
possible . Aisles have lean-to roofs with ties, some stop-chamfered, others
moulded and probably early C16. Other timbers mostly renewed C19. C19 stained
glass in chancel and south aisle and west tower. C15 stained glass shields with
arms of Abbots of Evesham and Royal arms and inscription formerly in north
clerestory, now in north aisle window. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.100; Parish Records; Northants Record
Office; Kellys Directory 1903).
Listing NGR: SP5597058737
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings