This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1899 / 52°11'23"N
Longitude: -1.1033 / 1°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 461394
OS Northings: 255008
OS Grid: SP613550
Mapcode National: GBR 9V7.PVV
Mapcode Global: VHCVS.T7L1
Entry Name: Memorial Cloister and Attached Wall at Joy Mead Recreation Ground
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360566
Location: Farthingstone, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN12
Civil Parish: Farthingstone
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Farthingstone St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
FARTHIHGSTONE MAIN STREET
SP6155 (South side)
14/76 Memorial cloister and attached
wall at Joy Mead recreation
Memorial cloister. 1930, by Talbot Brown and Fisher of Wellingborough. Dressed
ironstone and coursed ironstone rubble, Collyweston stone slate roofs. Single
storey; 2-window range. Entrance front has central 3-bay opening with 2 full and
2 half columns, and 2 semi-circular steps to central opening. Columns are
octagonal with broach stop-chamfered capitals and square abaci with recessed
panels. Two matching open windows either side with 2 pairs of stone balusters.
Moulded eaves cornice. Cloister walks within of 5 bays to long sides, 4 bays to
side walks and have open arcades of similar columns with hall-columns to corner
piers. Pairs of shallow niches with round arch heads to each angle and facing
entrance on far wall a larger central recess with moulded stone frame containing
painted stone arms of Agnew family. Bronze commemorative plate below. The walks
have shallow plaster barrel vaults; walks and cloister garth stone paved.
Attached stone wall to right of entrance front has 'keyhole' arch. The cloister
was erected by the Agnew family and commemorates World War I and their only son
Listing NGR: SP6139455008
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings