This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3558 / 53°21'20"N
Longitude: -2.9994 / 2°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 333578
OS Northings: 384785
OS Grid: SJ335847
Mapcode National: GBR 7YHM.FS
Mapcode Global: WH87D.WXW8
Entry Name: Lady Lever Art Gallery
Listing Date: 20 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075469
English Heritage Legacy ID: 215404
Location: Wirral, CH62
Metropolitan District Ward: Bromborough
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: New Ferry St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chester
BEBINGTON THE DIAMOND
SJ 3384 NE
13/83 Lady Lever
20.12.65 Art Gallery
Art Gallery. 1914-22. By William and Segar Owen.
Reinfored concrete with Portland stone cladding.
Rectangular block with entrance projections to all sides,
those to north and south with concave re-entrants.
Cruciform top hamper and saucer domes to ends. Richly
moulded base with some small windows, entablature and
parapet, balustraded to entrance projections. East
projection has recessed Ionic hexastyle porch between
chanelled-rusticated bays. Windows have rich architraves,
aprons and cornices, those to outer bays with trophy crests.
West projection similar, with attached colonnade. North and
south bays have recessed Ionic hexastyle porches, flanking
windows as above with fielded panels over. Porches have
fielded panels. Projection to south has inscription "THE
LADY LEVER ART GALLERY" to frieze. Entrances have paired
panelled doors; steps flanked by marble bases, those to
south have urns. In north west angle a male figure,
L'opprime (the oppressed) sculpted by A. Guilloux, 1913.
Interior: Central hall flanked by 1st floor balconies, with
wider ends. Flat pilasters and barrel vaulted glazed roof.
Ionic columns, paired in depth at each end of central part.
Balconies have antae; entrances below have architraves,
pilasters, friezes and consoled pediments. Ends have similar
details. Entrance halls are octagonal with circular Ionic
colonnade with paired columns and glazed dome; niches
alternate with entrances. One room contains c.1730
panelling from house near Chatham; another contains 1571
panelling from Lambourne Hall farm, Essex; a third contains
Adam-style panelling, 1925, by Percy MacQuoid. Built to
house Lord Leverhulme's art collection.
Listing NGR: SJ3357884785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings