History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Roby, Knowsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4121 / 53°24'43"N

Longitude: -2.8556 / 2°51'20"W

OS Eastings: 343223

OS Northings: 390923

OS Grid: SJ432909

Mapcode National: GBR 8XHZ.KL

Mapcode Global: WH879.3HGL

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 215262

Location: Knowsley, L36

County: Knowsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Roby

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Roby St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Huyton

Listing Text

HUYTON-WITH-ROBY CHURCH ROAD
SJ 49 SW
(west side)
Roby

5/4 Church of
- St. Bartholomew

- II

Church. 1875. By Ewan Christian. Rock-faced stone with
ashlar dressings and banded slate roof. Nave with aisles
under lean-to roofs, west tower, chancel, north and south
vestries. Tower has weathered setback buttresses. Blocked
west entrance with 3-light window with reticulated tracery
above, also blocked. Clock faces to north and south.
Paired 2-light louvred bell openings, ball flower cornice
and broach spire with lucarnes and decorative band. Aisles
have gableted kneelers and 2-light windows with reticulated
tracery between weathered buttresses. Clerestory has paired
windows with cusped Y-tracery between flat buttresses. Open
timber porch to south. Chancel has round end; 5 traceried
lancets between gabled buttresses. Flanking gabled vestries
have 2 cusped lancets and trefoil to north and south; that
to north has entrance with shouldered lintel, stack to
angle, and C20 extension. Interior; Tall narrow nave has
arcades on chamfered square piers and end corbels; waggon
roof. Corbelled chancel arch and segmental-pointed arches
to east ends of aisles with panelling infill. Chancel
screen, 1928, has 2 Egyptian columns, entablature and
cresting with rood and angels. Chancel has pulpit,
panelling, altar and reredos incorporating 41 C16 Flemish
relief panels of biblical scenes, saints and virtues.
Similar stalls with relief panels and ends with kneeling
figures in prayer. Octagonal stone font with 4 marble
shafts and alabaster angels to angles. Good C19 glass,
including south aisle west window, 1899, by C.E. Kempe.


Listing NGR: SJ4322390923

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.