This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4343 / 52°26'3"N
Longitude: -1.856 / 1°51'21"W
OS Eastings: 409883
OS Northings: 281829
OS Grid: SP098818
Mapcode National: GBR 6BT.37
Mapcode Global: VH9Z9.S24N
Entry Name: Sarehole Mill
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216971
Location: Birmingham, B13
Electoral Ward/Division: Hall Green
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Springfield
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/02/2013
SP 08 SE 12/16
COLE BANK ROAD
Hall Green B13
(Formerly listed under Shard End B13)
(Formerly listed as Sarehole Mill House under Hall Green)
The existing corn mill (restored 1960's) is substantially a rebuild, on an early mill site, of circa 1764-68. L plan block of one and two storeys red brick with gable end clay tile roofs. Brick dentil eaves. Barn at right angles to mill building with ventilation in gable end. The 2 storey and attic main mill building has a restored bracketted, cabled, weatherboarded hoist. Segmental arched small pane iron frame window. Single storey south end of range was used as a blade grinding shop and adapts as living accommodation in part, on reverting to corn grinding in the 1850's. At this time additional power was provided by the installation of a steam engine, the stack of which is built on to the north cable end of the main mill (tapering square section with cornice cap). The well preserved machinery was probably installed when corn winding resumed in the 1850's (probably brought from Trittiford Mill) and has a high breast shot cast iron wheel in the main building with a smaller overshot wheel in the former blade grinding plant to the south. Complete set of stones, gearing, hoppers etc.
Listing NGR: SP1005381833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings