History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Taylor and Challen Limited, Derwent Works

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4868 / 52°29'12"N

Longitude: -1.9028 / 1°54'10"W

OS Eastings: 406695

OS Northings: 287658

OS Grid: SP066876

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z6.RF

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.YRXH

Entry Name: Taylor and Challen Limited, Derwent Works

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216997

Location: Birmingham, B19

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

CONSTITUTION HILL
1.
5104
City Centre B19
Nos 32 to 42 (even)
(Taylor and Challen Ltd,
Derwent works)
SP 0687 NE 25/2
II
2.
Circa 1912 and 1920. A large and monumental former engineering works, built of
red brick with gault brick dressings. Cut and pierced brick detail and stone
dressings show Arts and Crafts influence. Giant arcaded ground floor with
panelled stone imposts and stone voussoir keyed semi-circular arches. The 2 high
set upper floors have pairs of window bays divided by brick piers and flanked by
broader brick pilasters. Stone cornice and panelled brick parapet with pierced
work. The south-west corner is treated as a tower with bevelled return and small
stone mullioned windows, slight raised brick work decoration. The south elevation
after the corner is similar to main front with rendered aprons to windows. To
the right of the main front, and linking with the 1938 extension, is a 3 bay
machine shop continuation of the giant ground floor arcade with a projecting stone
cornice surmounted by deep parapet with gable over. The parapet is taken up by a
large panel of ceramic tiles with the company's name in slightly scrolled
Edwardian lettering.

Listing NGR: SP0667787680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.