This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4121 / 52°24'43"N
Longitude: -1.964 / 1°57'50"W
OS Eastings: 402545
OS Northings: 279343
OS Grid: SP025793
Mapcode National: GBR 3GF.N9R
Mapcode Global: VH9Z7.XM2R
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Last Amended: 19 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1075684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216905
Location: Birmingham, B31
Electoral Ward/Division: Northfield
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Northfield
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SF 07 NW 16/6
Church of St Laurence
(Formerly listed as Church of St Lawrence)
C12, C13, C14 and C15 with north aisle of 1900 in a C14 style by G F Bodley.
Sandstone built church. Aisles, nave, chancel and west tower of the C12 build
the round arched doorway of circa 1170 reset in the Bodley north aisle with
double order, the inner zigzag,and with 2 break heads - also C12 the lights
with carved animal heads in the north and south faces of the tower. The major
Cl3 feature is the chancel with a triple group of lancets forming the east
window, moulded heads, double shafted jambs, moulded drip to outer arch.
Three groups of tripled lancets to south chancel wall and 2 to north wall,
under segmental arches springing from shafts. At west end of south wall is
a single lancet originally communicating with a since domolished building
traces of which remains on the outside. The C13 south aisle therefore replaced
an earlier aisle. Also of the C13 the lower stage of the west tower. The
4 bay octagonal pier arcade to the south aisle is C14. In the C15 the upper
stage of the tower was rebuilt and the half timbered porch on its sandstone
base added. The north arcade and aisle are a fine addition in matching C14
style by Bodley in 1900. Instead of a chancel arch there is the unusual feature
of 4 separate but contiguous trusses with a tympanum still in situ in the
second tower from the nave end, framed and wattle and daubed, probably in
origin painted with a Last Judgement. This roof structure is probably a late
C15 alteration of the Cl3 chancel roof contemporary with the replacement of
the nave roof. The pulpit has reused C15 elements from the former screen.
Royal Arms, Hanoverian, above the tower arch.
Listing NGR: SP0254379342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings