History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Block to Edgbaston College for Girls

A Grade II Listed Building in Edgbaston, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4679 / 52°28'4"N

Longitude: -1.9211 / 1°55'15"W

OS Eastings: 405456

OS Northings: 285554

OS Grid: SP054855

Mapcode National: GBR 5VF.Q6

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.N77F

Entry Name: Main Block to Edgbaston College for Girls

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216840

Location: Birmingham, B15

County: Birmingham

Metropolitan District Ward: Edgbaston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St George with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

1. CALTHORPE ROAD
5104
Edgbaston B15
No 31
(Main block to
Edgbaston College for
Girls)
SP 0585 NW 39/27
II
2.
The college incorporates a large formerly detached Grecio-Egyptian villa
of c.1835, much extended to east in 1883-86 on the foundation of the college,
in a surprisingly sympathetic stucco idiom. The original villa has a 2-storey
3 bay stucco elevation with grooved ground floor with entablature over coupled
formation panelled plaster strips articulating the bays containing 2 round
headed full length windows in arched recesses. Coupled panelled pilasters
to first floor, the windows in Greco-Egyptian eaved architraves, tripartite
to right hand. The "primitive" style porch has been renovated. Doorway
in Greco-Egyptian eaved architraves case. Slightly recessed extension to
right of 2 bays with similar first floor articulation and coupled round headed
piers of windows to ground floor. Left hand recessed (probably former service)
wing with narrow windows and console bracketed doorway. Breaking forward
from link with school addition is the 2-storey art block of c.1886 with pediment
and blind facade. The main school additions to left hand of original house
have ground quoins and coupled pilasters to first floor with entablatures
to both floors. Corniced stucco chimneys. Plain entablature to original
house, hipped slate roofs. Garden front of original villa of 5 bays with
pilasters to ground floor and splayed architrave windows above first floor
string course as on front. Left hand end has addition of 2-storey canted
bay and there are 2 canted bay windows on ground floor. Rear additions for
school much more in 1880s idiom of red brick, in particular the gymnasium
and hall on 2 storeys of 1886 of dark red brick with rubber brick dressings,
tall camber headed windows in architraves, soffit eaves with hipped slate
roof. The school additions are by the Chatwin architectural practice.
The interior of original villa much remodelled. Vestibule altered c.1850
with 3 bay arcade supporting vestibule from pilastered hall, foliage cornice.

Listing NGR: SP0545685554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.