History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blakesley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in South Yardley, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4735 / 52°28'24"N

Longitude: -1.8094 / 1°48'33"W

OS Eastings: 413042

OS Northings: 286185

OS Grid: SP130861

Mapcode National: GBR 6NC.F6

Mapcode Global: VH9Z4.L395

Entry Name: Blakesley Hall

Listing Date: 29 April 1952

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216779

Location: Birmingham, B25

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: South Yardley

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Yardley

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sheldon

Listing Text

BLAKESLEY ROAD
1.
5104
Yardley B25
Blakesley Hall
(formerly listed under
Blakesley Hall Road)
SP 1386 SW 59/1 29.4.52
II* GV
2.
Timber-framed farmhouse built by Richard Smalbroke in the last quarter of
the C16 and subsequently added to. The ground floor with vertical studding;
the upper storey jettied on huge brackets at the corners and with short diagonal
struts to produce a herringbone pattern; tiled roof. Two storeys except
the gabled crosswing on the left which has an attic storey in the gable which
has square panels with quadrant braces to produce a lozenge pattern. Windows
with leaded lights, 2, 3 even 4 mullions and, some of them, transoms
too. The house seems from the beginning to have been ceiled at first floor
level. A gabled stair turret in the angle between hall and crosswing balances
the porch. This is also gabled and has the inscription OMN(1)P OTENS D(EUS)
P(RO)TECTOR SIT DOM(US) HUI(US) RS. To the right, an C18 brick addition.
To the rear, a mid C17 kitchen wing of painted brick. Inside the house,
an upstairs room with a wall painting of circa 1600.

Listing NGR: SP1304286185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.