History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Formby, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5664 / 53°33'58"N

Longitude: -3.0594 / 3°3'33"W

OS Eastings: 329932

OS Northings: 408271

OS Grid: SD299082

Mapcode National: GBR 7W26.F9

Mapcode Global: WH758.ZM9B

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 19 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216435

Location: Formby, Sefton, L37

County: Sefton

Civil Parish: Formby

Built-Up Area: Formby

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Formby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Formby

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/08/2014

SD 20 NE
2/38

FORMBY
GREEN LANE (east side)
Church of St. Peter


19.7.66

GV
II
Church. 1746 with chancel of 1873 and later vestry. Brick
with stone dressings, chancel of stone; slate roof. Nave,
west tower, chancel, north vestry and south chapel. 3-bay
nave has stone base with roll moulding, dentilled brick
cornice and eaves; rusticated quoins and coped gables with
ball finials. Round-headed windows have apron panels,
moulded sills, angle pilasters with Doric entablatures and
archivolts with keys. Fixed small-paned glazing with
intersecting heads. South entrance has flat pilasters,
entablature with pulvinated frieze and pediment with date,
1746; timber framed and half-glazed porch, 1884. West tower
has porch with angle pilasters and Doric entablature,
inserted plastered drum has west round-headed window and
south entrance, drum possibly dates from 1830 when gallery
inserted. Tower has quoins and cornice, west round window.
Top octagonal bell stage has round-headed louvred bell
openings on sill course and cupola with ball finial. West
end of nave has round-headed windows with round windows
above. Chancel has angle buttressed and 3-light east window
with Geometrical tracery; elaborate gable cross. Chapel has
diagonal buttresses and corbelled cornice, 3-light east and
gableted 2-light south windows. Vestry similar, with stack
and C20 extension in style of nave. Interior: roof of 1900
has elaborate timber kingpost trusses. West gallery on
timber columns has entablature with dentilled cornice;
original pews. Painted board recording enlargement of
church in 1830 probably refers to gallery. Chancel has
moulded arch, no capitals, and royal arms of 1710. 2-bay
arcade to chapel. Stained glass east window. Chest dated
1740.


Listing NGR: SD2993208271

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.