History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linacre Methodist Mission

A Grade II Listed Building in Litherland, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4636 / 53°27'48"N

Longitude: -2.9972 / 2°59'49"W

OS Eastings: 333891

OS Northings: 396778

OS Grid: SJ338967

Mapcode National: GBR 710.ND

Mapcode Global: WH870.X6XL

Entry Name: Linacre Methodist Mission

Listing Date: 17 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216481

Location: Sefton, L21

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Litherland

Built-Up Area: Litherland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Litherland St Andrew with Seaforth St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Waterloo

Listing Text

LITHERLAND LINACRE ROAD
SJ 39 NW
(east side)
9/83 Linacre Methodist
Mission
G.V. II
Chapel. Date in cartouche 1904. Red brick and yellow
terracotta with slate roof. 2 storeys, 1st bay is canted
under hipped roof, other 5 bays form symmetrical
composition. Weathered base, sill courses, cornice over
ground floor, 3-bay gable with flanking cornice and panelled
parapet. End brick pilaster strips and terracotta pilaster
strips flanking gabled centre; central bay flanked by
octagonal terracotta turrets ending in panelling and open-
sided cupolas. Top pediment with frieze inscribed: "LINACRE
MISSION HALL", relief foliage in pediment, and dated
cartouche. Ground floor paired segmental-headed windows
with central colonnettes, those to 1st bay with transom.
1st floor windows have relief panelled aprons; central
round-headed tripartite window with transom, angle pilasters
and keyed archivolt, flanking tall round-headed windows and
end round-headed windows with 2 round-headed lights and
roundel; 1st bay has segmental-headed windows with C20 plate
glass, other windows have art nouveau stained glass. Paired
entrances have panelled pilasters, archivolts and relief
spandrels; C20 hoods inserted. Left return plain. Right
return of 6 bays, elliptical-headed window with gables, end
4 bays to childrens chapel with 2-bay pedimented centre;
pediment dated 1908. Entrance hall has tiled dado. Main
hall has 5-bay arcades with round arches and rich relief
decoration over. Segmental-vaulted ceiling has similar
plaster decoration. Tiled walls now clad with timber.
Elliptical-arched recess has round-headed panel with mosaic-
work text. The mission was founded in the late C19 and the
present chapel replaces one built only a few years earlier,
which was probably on the site of the children's chapel.


Listing NGR: SJ3389196778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.