History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guildhall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rainford, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4963 / 53°29'46"N

Longitude: -2.7379 / 2°44'16"W

OS Eastings: 351144

OS Northings: 400211

OS Grid: SD511002

Mapcode National: GBR 9XB0.1D

Mapcode Global: WH86Y.XCDZ

Entry Name: Guildhall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075904

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216343

Location: Rainford, St. Helens, WA11

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Rainford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Rainford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text

SD 50 SW RAINFORD GORES LANE
(north side)

2/53 Guildhall
24.3.66 Farmhouse

G.V. II*

Farmhouse. 1629; porch with date stone reading: "TGD" 1688,
2 rear wings also of 1688. Brick with stone dressings,
extensions of stone; stone slate roof. Lobby entry plan. 2
storeys, 4 bays; 2nd bay 2-storey gabled projecting porch;
4th bay projects under gable. Weathered base, stone quoins
and coped gables with 3 ball finials. Windows have double-
chamfered mullions and label moulds, those to ground floor
of 4;6;6 lights. Porch has cross-casement window, the upper
lights original, with leaded glazing, the lower lights are
C20. 4th bay has small 2-light attic window. Entrance has
segmental head and original wide-boarded door with chamfered
battens to inside. One gable-end stack and one cross-axial
stack; right return has external lateral stack. Rear has
varied fenestration, single-chamfered windows to wings and
cross-casement stair window with leaded glazing. Return of
right-hand wing has entrance with C20 porch. Right return of
left-hand wing is timber-framed with brick infill. Interior:
Lobby has contemporary panelled partitions and doors. Kitchen
has inglenook fireplace, hearth removed. Hall has large
fireplace and exposed beams. Parlour has chamfered beams
with ogee stops. Dog-leg staircase in rear wing has moulded
closed string, turned balusters and panelled newel posts.
2nd stair has splat balusters. Ovolo beam to 1st floor
room. One of the best and most complete houses in the area.


Listing NGR: SD5114400211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.