History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Parr, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.454 / 53°27'14"N

Longitude: -2.7009 / 2°42'3"W

OS Eastings: 353551

OS Northings: 395480

OS Grid: SJ535954

Mapcode National: GBR 9XLH.1K

Mapcode Global: WH875.HF2X

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 23 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216359

Location: St. Helens, WA9

County: St. Helens

Electoral Ward/Division: Parr

Built-Up Area: St Helens

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Parr St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Saint Helens

Listing Text

SJ 59 NW ST. HELENS BROAD OAK ROAD
(north side)

4/69 Church of
- Saint Peter

- II

Church. 1864-5. J. Medland Taylor. Rubble walls, a mixture
of red and yellow sandstone and industrial waste, with red
and yellow stone dressings; slate roof. Nave with aisles
under cat-slide roof. South west tower and south transept;
chancel with south vestry and north organ loft under cat-
slide roof. Tower has angle buttresses, cusped lancets and
paired bell openings. South entrance has pointed tympanum
with quatrefoil and crossed keys. Spire has squat pyramids
in angles and weather vane. West end has 2-light window with
plate tracery. Aisle windows are varied, those to south are
3 lancets with roundel above, those to north are alternately
3 and 2 lancets, With roundels to those with 2 lancets.
Transept of 2 gabled bays with triple lancets and rose
windows above. Canted chancel has 3 windows of 2 lights with
plate tracery. Chapel has segmental-pointed windows and east
lancet. Lateral stack to south side of chancel. Interior has
6-bay arcades of round columns; chancel arch on round
corbels. Nave roof has scissor-brace-collar trusses; aisles
have tie beams. Transept has valley beam on brackets and
collar rafter roofs. Font is circular on circular base, with
inscription running round it and nail-head moulding. Similar
pulpit has cusped pointed piercings. Timber chancel screen,
c.1920. Wall memorial to Rev. A. A. Nunn (died 1889) in
transept, in form of trefoil with quadrants in angles.


Listing NGR: SJ5355195480

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.