History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Aidan

A Grade II* Listed Building in Billinge, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5009 / 53°30'3"N

Longitude: -2.7051 / 2°42'18"W

OS Eastings: 353326

OS Northings: 400697

OS Grid: SD533006

Mapcode National: GBR 9WKY.4R

Mapcode Global: WH86Z.F83H

Entry Name: Church of St Aidan

Listing Date: 23 August 1966

Last Amended: 23 August 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075923

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216304

Location: Billinge Chapel End, St. Helens, WN5

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Billinge Chapel End

Built-Up Area: Billinge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Billinge St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text

SD 50 SW BILLINGE CHAPEL END MAIN STREET
(east side)

2/14 Church of
23.8.66 Saint Aidan
(Formerly listed under General)
G.V. II*

Church. Dated 1718 over entrance; transept dated 1907 by T.
G. Jackson. Stone with stone slate roof. 4-bay nave,
transept and re-sited apse. Nave has flat Doric pilastrade
with Ionic entablature; embattled parapet with urns. Round-
headed windows have triple keystones and 3-light reticulated
tracery. West front has paired pilasters at each end with
triglyph frieze above. Doric porch supporting turret with
Ionic angle pilasters and entablature. Clock face above 3-
light straight-headed window with reticulated tracery. Bell
housed in cupola on Tuscan columns between 4 urns; ball-
finial and weather vane. Entrance has architrave and
overlight. North transept has hipped roof and 2 two-light
windows; south transept has 4-light window with 2 king
mullions and foundation stone. Round apse dismantled and
reconstructed in 1907. 3 windows as nave, the central one
an insertion. Facade as nave but with balustrade. Wall
tablet to Rev. H. Walley (died 1748). Interior: Round-
arched arcades with Doric columns on high plinths, tunnel-
vaulted roof. West gallery on slender iron columns, the
church originally had side galleries, removed c.1907. C18
brass chandelier in nave. Organ in north transept, south
transept forms chapel. Apse has fluted Corinthian flat
pilastrade and cherubs in frieze. Painted board in nave
commemorates rebuilding of 1717-1718. Some stained glass
windows. A good example of an early Georgian church.


Listing NGR: SD5332600697

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.