History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Wollaston and Stourbridge Town, Dudley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4602 / 52°27'36"N

Longitude: -2.1606 / 2°9'38"W

OS Eastings: 389184

OS Northings: 284707

OS Grid: SO891847

Mapcode National: GBR 1BY.LLF

Mapcode Global: VH91H.HFMC

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 30 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217875

Location: Dudley, DY8

County: Dudley

Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaston and Stourbridge Town

Built-Up Area: Stourbridge

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Wollaston

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourbridge

Listing Text

1.
5106 BRIDGNORTH ROAD, WOLLASTON
(North Side)

SO 8984 2/61 Church of St. James

II

2.
Parish Church.Circa 1860 by G.Bidlake.Black brick with limestone dressings, plinth band,
quoins, cornices and gable- parapets. Plain tiled roofs. North-West tower, nave
with north and south aisles and north and south porches, north and south transeptal
chapels and chancel. North-west tower: three stages with clasping buttresses rising
to gabled weatherings at the top of the second stage. Pierced arcaded parapet, carried
on machicolations with corner pinnacles. Belfry-stage with paired belfry openings
with quatrefoils inset over trilobed tracery. Triangular hoodmould over both.
Octagonal clockface in second stage with flush stone band below. Small lancet window
rising into this band. West doorway at ground-level with moulded arched surround
carried on a single columnar order and set within a raised triangular gable-hooded
surround. Nave: West wall with 4-light perpendicular-style window and three lights
below with triangular hoodmoulds. Eaves cornice with corbel table. Three clerestory
semi-dormers with parapet-gables and two-light windows with trefoils on quatrefoils in
apices. South porch towards west and of south aisle. Moulded door surround with
moulded arched-surround and capitals.Panelled doubled doors with decorative
strap-hinges. Paired side windows to porch in style of quatrefoils. Aisle windows to
right, two triple-arched windows divided by a low buttress. Lower transeptal chapel to
right with three-light and window in a Decorated style. Chancel: South side with
single window to left. East window of five lights with curvilinear tracery. North
aisle with three driple-arched windows; three clerestory semi-dormer windows similar
to those of the south side.


Listing NGR: SO8918484707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.