History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Highbury Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Moseley and Kings Heath, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4421 / 52°26'31"N

Longitude: -1.9011 / 1°54'3"W

OS Eastings: 406820

OS Northings: 282690

OS Grid: SP068826

Mapcode National: GBR 60Q.4F

Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.0WB7

Entry Name: Highbury Hall

Listing Date: 21 January 1970

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217837

Location: Birmingham, B13

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Moseley and Kings Heath

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Moseley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text


SF 08 SE 12/75

Moseley B13, YEW TREE ROAD, Highbury Hall

(formerly listed as Highbury Moor Green)

21.01.70

II

Dated 1879 by J H Chamberlain for the Right Hon. Joseph Chamberlain MP whose
house it was from 1880 to 1914. Extensive modern additions have been made
since the house became in 1915 a hospital and later an old peoples' home.
Red brick with stone dressings and some applied timberwork in the gables;
tiled roof with richly carved brick eaves cornice. Mostly of two storeys plus
attic, but partly of three storeys. Asymmetrical composition essentially
L-shaped in plan. Original panelled double doors with stained glass tympanum
within a richly moulded stone arch on two orders of pink marble shafts with
gable above. Left and right gabled pilasters. Above, a 2-light window
with richly carved tympanum and gable. The windows pointed and mostly
of plate tracery type. Much use everywhere of decorative materials and
carved, especially cut brick, decoration. The right hand return is the
garden facade, again asymmetrical but essentially a long 2-storeyed wing
with two 2-storeyed bay windows and a 3-storeyed wing with a 3-storeyed
stone canted bay window in it.

INTERIOR of great richness. The Great
Hall, with floor of variegated woods, rises through two storeys to a timber
and glazed roof. At one end of the room, the staircase rises behind the
first floor balcony to appear through an arcade of five arches with pink marble
shafts set in a tile diapered wall at the other end, a richly marbled
fireplace with carved panels and tiles and a reredos like mirror with crocketted
gables. Walls with pink marble pilasters, panelled dado, tiles and carved
foliage panels. Gilt gesso to the underside of the balcony, which has
geometrical railings. Huge central brass gasolier. Off this hall, the
principal rooms all with Gothic panelled doors with good brass furniture,
elaborate fireplaces with coloured marbles, carved foliage panels, tiles
and rich ceiling cornices. The former Billiard Room is L-shaped with an
arcade of three bays with marble piers and 2-centred arches. Panelled dado;
richly coffered wooden ceiling with painted foliage, inlay work and geometrical
panelling; fireplace with brass surround, pink and white marbles and foilage
carving.

Listing NGR: SP0682082690

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.