This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4864 / 52°29'10"N
Longitude: -1.9115 / 1°54'41"W
OS Eastings: 406103
OS Northings: 287610
OS Grid: SP061876
Mapcode National: GBR 5X6.TL
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.TR9T
Entry Name: School of Jewellery and Silversmithing
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217718
Location: Birmingham, B1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Nos 82, 84 and 86.
(School of Jewellery and
SP 0687 NW 24/29
The Gothic building of C1865 probably designed by J G Bland, was built as a
jewellers workshop and offices and was originally of 2 storeys. The school
was founded in 1890 and Cook over the building in 1891. The second floor was
added in 1906 by the architectural partnership of Cossins, Peacock and Bewlay
and the same architects added the large south extension in 1911. The original
building is of red brick with stone dressings and some tilework. Deep plinth.
The ground and first floor openings are set in Gothic arches with brick and
stone serrated gauged work and hoodmoulds on foliate stops. The ground floor
sash windows have shouldered stone heads with mouldings. Those on first floor
are of 2 lights with flat arches, colonettes dividing, the tympana decorated
with quatrefoils and coloured tiles. Original eaves cornice over first floor
with cut brackets flanked by consoles. The 1906 attic storey has broad
workshop casements divided by plain brick piers up to overhanging eaves. A
light iron balcony with scrolled top uprights runs across the top of the
original eaves cornice. The 1911 extension, a tall 3 storey and basement building
with narrow slightly battered tower-wings, is akin to contemporary medium sized
works elevations in the inner city. High quality thin red brickwork with
rebated pointing, classical stone dressings and Birmingham Arts and Crafts
patterned brickwork. The recessed centre has 3 broad bays of metal framed
windows on 2 main storeys and basement divided by full height chamfered and
panelled brick piers with stone panelled aprons between main floors and brick
above basement. Deep classical stone entablatures over first floor. Three pairs
of camber arched windows are set above the cornice, the wall carried up in a tall
parapet to moulded brick coping returned on to tower wings. The latter have
narrow round headed window bays carried up through floors to stone ashlar level
with the centre entablature. Revealed panels rise from thin sills at attic level
to front and sides of towers achieving a quoin pilaster effect at this level.
The front panels break up through coping and contain above their sills patterns
brick medallions. A subtly balanced elevation, sharply detailed.
Listing NGR: SP0610687616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings