History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Soho House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Soho, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4996 / 52°29'58"N

Longitude: -1.9229 / 1°55'22"W

OS Eastings: 405332

OS Northings: 289079

OS Grid: SP053890

Mapcode National: GBR 5V1.9V

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.MF9N

Entry Name: Soho House

Listing Date: 25 April 1952

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076151

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217624

Location: Birmingham, B18

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Soho

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Handsworth St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/12/2014


SP 0589 SW 19/1
5104

Handsworth, B18,
SOHO AVENUE,
Soho House

(Formerly listed as Nos 5 to 11 (odd) Soho House Police Hostel.

Previously listed as Soho Hall Hotel)

25.4.52

II*

The enlargement over a long period of an unfinished mid C18 house acquired
in 1766 by Matthew Boulton, whose home this was from 1766 to 1809. In 1789
Samuel and then in 1796 James Wyatt, was being employed. The principal
front (now the garden facade) probably attributable to James Wyatt. Faced
with painted slate in imitation of ashlar work. Two storeys plus attics;
7 bays with giant panelled Ionic pilasters left and right and either side
of the centre bay. Ground floor with central semi-circular porch on Ionic
columns and 6 windows. First floor with a central tripartite window on
a sill band and an attic semi-circular tripartite window both within a
tall arch and 6 first floor windows on a sill band and 6 almost square
attic windows. All windows sashes with glazing bars. Entablature, moulded
cornice and blocking course. Left and right, modern additions. Entrance
hall with scagliola columns and, in the back wall, double doors flanked
by niches. The doors lead into a room with 3 narrow transverse groin vaulted
bays running from mock scagliola iron columns either side of recesses flanking
the fireplace on the left to thin pilasters on the right; the entrance
wall is bowed to match the shallow bow window at the far end of the room.
The groin vaults, which are plastered, are probably carried on an iron frame
or architrave.

Listing NGR: SP0533289078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.