History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyd's Farmhouse Farm Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sparkbrook, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.465 / 52°27'53"N

Longitude: -1.8728 / 1°52'22"W

OS Eastings: 408735

OS Northings: 285233

OS Grid: SP087852

Mapcode National: GBR 66G.D7

Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.H98P

Entry Name: Lloyd's Farmhouse Farm Park

Listing Date: 30 June 1976

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217589

Location: Birmingham, B11

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Sparkbrook

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Sparkbrook Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

SAMPSON ROAD
1.
5104
Sparkhill B11
Lloyd's Farmhouse
Farm Park
(formerly listed as
Lloyd House under
Sparbrook)
SP 08 NE 7/78 30.6.76
II*
2.
A fine mid C18 house, the main residence of the Birmingham branch of the Lloyd
family from 1742 to 1912. Built by Sampson Lloyd II, work appears to have been
completed by 1750. As originally built the house was aporoximately square on
plan, 3 storeys, red brick with sill bands moulded cornice and parapet; 5 window
fronts flush framed glazing bar sashes, flat painted gauged brick arches with
keystones. Fluted Doric pilastered doorway with pediment. The layout was
typical of the period with a narrow central hall with dining room and parlour
each side to the front and service, kitchen and staircase to the rear. The
staircase is a fine example, open string with richly carved brackets, turned
balusters and fluted column newel posts. In the late 1770s the house was
virtually doubled in size by Sampson Lloyd the third. New service quarters
changed the original layout. The original front door was blocked and the former
back kitchen became the entrance hall. The old west wall of the old entrance
wall was removed and a big window added on the west front, the new room being
panelled. Thus Lloyds farm is one of the most important of the rare surviving
Georgian buildings in the city. A considerable amount of the interior decoration
was rehandled in a convincing Georgian manner in the late C19. The house has
recently been restored. It still retains its grounds with a formal avenue of
elms leading up to the original entrance front.

Listing NGR: SP0873585233

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.