History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hay Hall (Reynolds Tube Company Limited)

A Grade II Listed Building in South Yardley, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.458 / 52°27'28"N

Longitude: -1.8408 / 1°50'26"W

OS Eastings: 410912

OS Northings: 284459

OS Grid: SP109844

Mapcode National: GBR 6FJ.GR

Mapcode Global: VH9Z4.1HP2

Entry Name: Hay Hall (Reynolds Tube Company Limited)

Listing Date: 25 April 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076192

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217524

Location: Birmingham, B11

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: South Yardley

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Hay Mill

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sheldon

Listing Text

REDFERN ROAD
1.
5104 Tyseley B11
Hay Hall
(Reynolds Tube Company
Limited)
SP 18 SW 13/5 25.4.52
II
2.
A sub manor of the Esle family. Originally, probably a C15 open hall with
cross-wings at either end. This was ceiled and refaced in brick and stone
in the C16. What was originally the back of the house but is now the front
was rebuilt soon after a fire in 1810, and the house was restored and further
altered for its present purpose in 1948. Entrance facade. Brick; tile roof.
Two storeys plus attic; 5 bays, the centre 3 advanced somewhat. Ground floor
with a broad segment-headed window, a tripartite sash window with dripmould,
the modern door beneath a dripmould incorporating a shield and another tripartite
sash and broad segment-headed window. First floor with a sash with blank
pointed arch above, 3 sashes (of 4-, 3- and 4-panes wide) beneath dripmoulds
and another sash with pointed arch above. Rear facade. Partly of brick with
diaperwork and partly of exposed timber-finding with plaster infill. Six
bays, the second and the fifth and sixth projecting somewhat and the first
projecting yet further. Bay 1 is wholly of circa 1948. Bay 2 is the original
2-storeyed timber porch, gabled and now with a modern door set in the blocked
entrance arch. Bay 3 has a round floor broad tripartite segment-headed window
with, above, a renewed mullioned window and a transomed window whose gable
projects above the eaves. Bay 4 is represented by a tripartite window with
leaded lights. Bays 5 and 6 have stone quoins left and right and 2 much renewed
4-light window with a 3-light window with leaded lights in the small gable
above. On the left-hand return, an original 2-light C16 window with leaded
lights. The right hand return is of 3 gabled bays with, between the bays,
on the left, a broad chimney and, on the right, a 2-storeyed gabled projection
with door.

Listing NGR: SP1091284459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.