This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4811 / 52°28'52"N
Longitude: -1.9033 / 1°54'12"W
OS Eastings: 406660
OS Northings: 287027
OS Grid: SP066870
Mapcode National: GBR 5Z8.MG
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.YWMV
Entry Name: School of Art, Birmingham City University
Listing Date: 21 January 1970
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217391
Location: Birmingham, B3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2013
SF 0687 SE 29/28
City Centre B3
School of Art, Birmingham City University
(First listed as College of Arts and Crafts; and Art and Design Annexe, Birmingham Polytechnic at date of most recent amendment)
1881-85, by Martin and Chamberlain and extended along Cornwall Street in 1893. Brick and terracotta with stone dressings and some tile decoration and with mosaic in the central gable; tiled roof with bracketted eaves cornice and decorative ridge tiles. In a Gothic style. Three and 4 storeys; 5 bays, the central and outer ones all gabled though differently in width and height, a facade as brilliantly successful as it is wholly asymmetrical. The centre bay with the gabled entrance arch flanked by pinnacles and carrying a big pointed arched opening within the gable above. The door behind gates and up a steep flight of steps within a room with arches carried on granite columns and a flat panelled wooden ceiling. Ground floor windows all with shouldered and moulded heads. First floor windows all broad lancets in various groupings; then, on the left a roundel by Barlow of Leicester with splended foliage in an Art Nouveau style, a band of trefoil headed lancets with roundels below and, on the right, a big canted bay window carried on a tripartite buttress rising up from basement level and with a triplet of lancets above. Excellent floral details in the spandrels. Inside, too, with excellent detailing everywhere including mosaic floors, stained glass windows, fine metalwork and joinery and carved capitals. The studios on the top floor large and functionally constructed with big iron arches with quatrefoils. On the return, the 9 bays of the extension differ from the 5 bays of the original in having figures (by Benjamin Creswick) rather than foliage in the tympana of the arches.
Listing NGR: SP0666087027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings