History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

23 and 23a, Highfield Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Edgbaston, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4691 / 52°28'8"N

Longitude: -1.9228 / 1°55'22"W

OS Eastings: 405340

OS Northings: 285688

OS Grid: SP053856

Mapcode National: GBR 5VD.BS

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.M6BJ

Entry Name: 23 and 23a, Highfield Road

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Last Amended: 26 May 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076340

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217284

Location: Birmingham, B15

County: Birmingham

Metropolitan District Ward: Edgbaston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St George with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/02/2013


SP 0585 NW 39/25
5104


HIGHFIELD ROAD
Edgbaston B15
Nos 23 and 23A


(Formerly listed as Nos 23 and 24)


II


Circa 1840, a pair of substantial 2 storey stucco villas with classical and
Italianate details. Built as an identical pair with recessed link bay, but No 23
altered circa 1865. Three bay fronts; chanelled ground floor; first floor sill
course, frieze, moulded cornice and parapet. The mid 1860's alterations to No 23
comprise 2 two storey canted bays with composite pilasters, dentil course
entablature carried across ground floor with composite columns flanking the doorway;
modillion brackets to main cornice and pierced parapet. No 24 retains architrave
framed windows, with splayed feet on plinth to ground floor, and eared architrave
doorcase in panelled strip frame with stepped console brackets to moulded cornice.
The south-east flank of No 23 has an Italianate wing of circa 1850 with rusticated
quoins, panelled chimney breast between 2 French windows with dentil cornices,
archivolt arched windows on first floor.


Listing NGR: SP0534085688

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.