History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block to Plough and Harrow Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4723 / 52°28'20"N

Longitude: -1.928 / 1°55'40"W

OS Eastings: 404987

OS Northings: 286043

OS Grid: SP049860

Mapcode National: GBR 5TC.5M

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.J4L2

Entry Name: Stable Block to Plough and Harrow Hotel

Listing Date: 8 July 1982

Last Amended: 18 March 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076348

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217207

Location: Birmingham, B16

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St George with St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Summary

A stable block of 1832-3, designed by John Fallows for the Calthorpe Estate, with C19 and C20 additions and alteration.

Description

A stable block of 1832-3, designed by John Fallows for the Calthorpe Estate, with C19 and C20 additions and alteration.

MATERIALS & PLAN: red brick laid in random bond, with sandstone dressings. Two storeys with central bellcote.

EXTERIOR: the west front onto Harrow Lane has an ‘E’ plan, with central, projecting gable, flanked by wings which end in further projecting gables. The wide central bay has a Tudor arch with stone surround, which is now blocked, but was formerly a throughway to the stable yard. Above this is a three-light mullioned window with hood mould, and in the gable is a lancet. The gable has a sceptre finial and cusped bargeboards which continue around the building as a fascia board to the eaves. At either side of the gable are chimneys which terminate in two rebuilt octagonal stacks. The ridge is raised above the central bay and carries an octagonal bellcote which has a boarded base and wooden superstructure supporting a domed lead roof with a central, iron weather vane. To either side of the centre are three bays, that at right has cambered heads to the ground floor cross windows with two-light windows to the first floor. At left the ground floor has three narrower windows with painted stone surrounds and Tudor heads and lancets to the first floor. The projecting gabled wings at either end each have three light windows to the ground floor and two lights to the first floor, in painted Tudor surrounds, as before.

The rear has wooden double doors to the central through arch and a similar blocked arch to its left, presumably marking a former coach house. To right of centre, a long garage door has been inserted. Other openings appear largely to be later insertions.

INTERIOR: both floors have been adapted to new uses. A staircase and a panelled door at first floor level appear to be original.

Pursuant to s1 (5) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the lean-to outhouse attached to the northern gable end of the stable block is not of special architectural or historic interest.

History

The Calthorpe Estate lies to the west of Birmingham and has belonged to the Gough family since 1717. The rural nature of the estate remained throughout most of the C18, with a few leases granted close to the expanding city from 1786 in the triangle between the Hagley and Harbourne Roads. From 1810, however, agricultural tenants were replaced by ‘gentlemen and tradesmen’ and several new roads were cut. The estate allowed tenants to take as much land as they wanted, adding to the exclusivity of the neighbourhood, but speculative builders also put up smaller, more closely-packed houses. Terraces are rare and tend to be a feature of the earliest development along the Hagley Road. The style of the earliest building was largely Neo-Classical with a mixture of picturesque Tudor appearing from the 1830s. Later development includes many designs by the notable architects working in Birmingham and most of the styles in favour in the C19. Conversion of houses into offices along the Hagley Road began in the early C20 and gathered pace after 1945. In 1957 the estate commissioned John Madin to produce a new plan for zoned development, which concentrated on low-rise infill domestic building to the south-west and office development along the Hagley Road, with high-rise towers set amongst landscaping that aimed at a maximum of one third plot coverage. Madin’s own practice designed several of these buildings.

The former stable block and coach house of c.1825, which also appears to be by John Fallows, has been subdivided to form changing rooms, storage and a boiler room at ground-floor level, with accommodation at first floor level. Ordnance Survey maps show that between 1890 and 1969 the stable block and service wing were joined by a covered yard which ran between the two parallel blocks.

Reasons for Listing

The Stable Block to the Plough and Harrow is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: the stables are designed in an accomplished Jacobethan style of the 1830s by the noted architect John Fallows;
* Degree of survival: despite alterations, the plan and details of the stable block survive and their original functioning can be understood.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.