History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lozells and East Handsworth, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5106 / 52°30'38"N

Longitude: -1.9193 / 1°55'9"W

OS Eastings: 405571

OS Northings: 290308

OS Grid: SP055903

Mapcode National: GBR 2VX.YW

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.P555

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217227

Location: Birmingham, B20

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lozells and East Handsworth

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Handsworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SP 09 SE 3/16
5104
25.4.52


BIRMINGHAM
HAMSTEAD ROAD
Lozells B19
Church of St Mary


(Formerly listed under Handsworth)


II*


Of C12-early C13 origin but much enlarged and rebuilt completely in the C19. Red
sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and south tower. In a Decorated style.
Some of the C19 detailing apparently unfinished. The lower stage of the tower
with shallow square buttresses gives evidence of the earliest work; upper part
with crenellated parapet C15. The C19 rebuilding programme began in 1820 when
the first major changes were executed by William Hollins who rebuilt the north
arcade and aisle with the addition of a spacious north transept and body beyond.
The south east chapel in a single Decorated Gothic style was added in 1826 by
Thomas Rickman as a mausoleum to James Watt whose white marble statue by Chantrey
of 1825 it contained. Further alterations and additions followed in 1876-80
altering part of Hollins work to the designs of J A Chatwyn. His work comprises
the rebuilding of the south aisle and the extension of the body of the church to
the west and the chancel to the east. At this time the north transept was narrowed
and an outer north aisle constructed. The north chapel retains an early C16
3-light east window and a similar one to the north. In the west end of its north
wall, a 4 centred arched doorway opening on to an early C18 porch. Reset early
C14 piscina east of the arcade. The south chapel with simple early C19 Gothic
detail including a vaulted ceiling and east window. In the west wall of the tower
giving on the south aisle is a small blocked round headed window with moulded string
over seemingly late C12 origin. Among the furnishings are a good wall monument by
Flaxman consisting of a bust of Matthew Boulton + 18O9 with 2 putti below one of
them holding a picture of the Soho Works and another monument to William Murdoch +
1839 consisting of a stone bust by Chantrey set in a pointed arch. Also a number
of minor monuments by William and Peter Hollins. The church is set in a leafy
churchyard with very many and varied monuments.

Listing NGR: SP0557190308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.