This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5773 / 52°34'38"N
Longitude: -1.9802 / 1°58'48"W
OS Eastings: 401436
OS Northings: 297720
OS Grid: SP014977
Mapcode National: GBR 2F4.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHBG1.KH70
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219039
Location: Walsall, WS1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Matthew's
Built-Up Area: Walsall
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Caldmore with St Mary and All Saints, Palfrey
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WALSALL MB BATH ROAD
SP 09 NW
Church of St Michael
and All Angels
Church. 1870/71, by J R Veall, restored after fire in 1964. Red sand-
stone with some Bath stone dressings and tile roof. Early English style.
Comprises a nave,with a west porch and vestry added in 1896, north aisle
completed in 1878 and south aisle in 1880. On the north side is a gabled
vestry and a chapel, both added in the 1920s. The west porch is of two
storeys and two bays, and has a moulded pointed north doorway. The aisles
are of five bays, separated by buttresses and with plate tracery. The
windows are each of two lancet lights. The clerestory windows are paired
lancets. Each of the three sides of the apse has a window of a single-
multi-foiled light. Interior: nave arcade of five bays with pointed sand-
stone arches which have edge mouldings. Round columns have foliated
capitals. The clerestory windows each have a central inner banded shaft
with foliated capital. The ribbed wagon roof replaces the original one
destroyed in 1964. The windows of the apse are flanked by narrow shafts.
The font and pulpit are of sandstone, the latter with elaborate Gothic
arcading. (BoE, p 293).
Listing NGR: SP0143697720
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings