This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3281 / 52°19'41"N
Longitude: -1.2042 / 1°12'14"W
OS Eastings: 454332
OS Northings: 270295
OS Grid: SP543702
Mapcode National: GBR 8R7.2D5
Mapcode Global: VHCTZ.2RR5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360950
Location: Barby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Barby
Built-Up Area: Barby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Barby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BARBY RECTORY LANE
SP57NW (South side)
1/60 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed sandstone and sandstone
ashlar, partly coursed ironstone rubble in south aisle, slate and lead roofs.
Chancel with south aisle, aisled nave, north and south porches, west tower. Two
2-light windows with Y-tracery in north wall of chancel are c.1300. All other
windows have C19 tracery. The mouldings around doorways have been renewed and
the porches rebuilt. Tower, c.1300, is less altered and has a west lancet, bell
openings with Y-tracery, a frieze of trefoiled arches with head corbels and
moulded parapet with inscription "E.J.S.R. Church Warden, 1660", probably
recording a restoration. Interior: chancel has 3-bay south arcade with
quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches. 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal
piers, moulded capitals carved with heads and shields and double chamfered
arches. Small re-set Anglo Saxon window to west of south doorway, also fragment
of a medieval coffin slab with scroll decoration (badly eroded) is set in wall
to west of south doorway. C18 altar rails with turned balusters. Set of stained
glass by Kempe and Tower starting from 1901. An early C14 "Nativity" (restored)
in the east window of the north aisle.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.100-101).
Listing NGR: SP5433270295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings