History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Whilton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2778 / 52°16'39"N

Longitude: -1.0687 / 1°4'7"W

OS Eastings: 463634

OS Northings: 264810

OS Grid: SP636648

Mapcode National: GBR 9TB.0NQ

Mapcode Global: VHCVF.F0CP

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 18 January 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360874

Location: Whilton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Whilton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Whilton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Long Buckby

Listing Text

SP66SW (North side)
5/229 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C13, upper storey of tower, aisles, porch and part of chancel rebuilt
c.l769, church much restored, re-windowed and chancel rebuilt 1877 by E.F. Law,
including new vestry and organ chamber. Coursed squared ironstone, tile roof, to
east end and porch, otherwise copper. Chancel, vestry, organ chamber, nave,
north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light
Decorated style east window, and 2-light reticulated window to south, a vestry
to north-west with 1-light window with cusped head, a group of 3 similar windows
to north and vestry door with Caernarvon arched head, and organ chamber to
south-west with similar windows. Nave has clerestory with similar coupled
windows. North and south moulded eaves. North aisle has two 3-light
Perpendicular style windows with straight heads to north. South aisle has
similar window to south and south door with chamfered stone surround and
segmental head. South porch has chamfered and hollow-chamfered doorway. 2-stage
west tower has 2-light Decorated style west window in blocked window to
south-east at clerestory level with chamfered stone surround, and bell openings
with round arched heads and plain Y-tracery with string courses at sill level,
above and at base of battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has massive reredos
and stained glass east window. Nave has 2-bay arcades with circular piers north
and south and simple moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and semi-circular
responds. All roofs C19. Several C18 and C19 wall monuments including one in
tower with Ionic pilasters framing round-headed arch with inscription to Richard
Freeman d.1749, with carved apron and cartouche with arms above, and fluted and
gadrooned urn finial.
(Notes on Church compiled by Rev. K. Sear, former Rector (framed in vestry);
Buildings of England: Northants, p.458; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1898).

Listing NGR: SP6363464810

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.