This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2312 / 52°13'52"N
Longitude: -1.0858 / 1°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 462534
OS Northings: 259617
OS Grid: SP625596
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.298
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.45BW
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, Outer Wall and North West Bastion
Listing Date: 6 August 1982
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360818
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/172 BRIDGE STREET
06-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALL AND
NORTH WEST BASTION
(Formerly listed as:
ENCLOSURE WALLS AND BASTIONS)
Enclosure walls and north-west bastion, for perimeter security of the site. 1804-10. Red brick in Flemish bond, with stone coping to NE bastion. Ten casemates built in groups of four and six along each side of the angle formed by the corner of the perimeter wall, these including a casemate at each end (probably for storage of artillery pieces) that flank a wall that spans the angle and is pierced by a central segmental-arched entrance. Semi-circular vaults to casemates, which are surmounted by bomb-proof layer of sand and gravel capped by a layer of bricks and finally a stone-flag walkway, which has low parapet with stone coping and is accessed by ramps with stone-paved stairs. Pintle hinges and fittings for doors. Square concrete base in corner for anti-aircraft machine guns installed early in World War II. Loopholes, which are probably later insertions ordered in 1831, enlarged in late C19. Perimeter wall that extended to meet West Lodge has been demolished, that to E extending to meet a late C19 storehouse (not included) that on the E side is attached to a short length of perimeter wall and the NE bastion (qv).
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings