History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Station Bungalow

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampton in Arden, Solihull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4319 / 52°25'55"N

Longitude: -1.7031 / 1°42'11"W

OS Eastings: 420283

OS Northings: 281593

OS Grid: SP202815

Mapcode National: GBR 4HX.G8C

Mapcode Global: VHBWV.F4HH

Entry Name: Old Station Bungalow

Listing Date: 24 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 218359

Location: Hampton in Arden, Solihull, B92

County: Solihull

Civil Parish: Hampton in Arden

Built-Up Area: Hampton in Arden

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Hampton-in-Arden

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Hampton in Arden

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list;

HAMPTON IN ARDEN OLD STATION ROAD
SP 28 SW
Old Station Bungalow
15/10000
II
GV
Railway station house. 1839. For the Birmingham and Derby Junction
Railway. Red brick, graduated slate roof. 1 storey, 3 bays with small
vestibule to left and later wing to front right. Platform side (to
rear): plinth; gauged brickwork. Central canted projection with ashlar
quoin-strips and 3 tall 12-pane sashes with projecting sills and
rubbed-brick flat arches. Former doorway to bay 1 now has casement
window whilst bay 3 is covered by a C20 addition. Boxed eaves
overhang to hipped roof with end stacks and another stack to right of
the canted projection. Entrance front: central door beneath shingled
canopy and blocked overlight; large 12-pane sashes beneath segmental
brick arches. Later wing has shouldered, external end stack; 12-pane
sash to left return; hipped roof. Built at the intersection with the
London and Birmingham Railway main line. From 1839-42 this station
served as a principal junction between the railway systems of the
north and south; it predates the link provided by the Midland Counties
Railway Derby-Rugby line (completed July 1840). First station clerk
was James Allport who later became General Manager of the Midland
Railway from 1853-1880; he was knighted in 1884.


Listing NGR: SP2028381593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.