This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5403 / 52°32'25"N
Longitude: 0.8879 / 0°53'16"E
OS Eastings: 595938
OS Northings: 297527
OS Grid: TL959975
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.P9K
Mapcode Global: VHKBW.BDQX
Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220164
Location: Caston, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Caston
Built-Up Area: Caston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Caston St Cross
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 99 NE CASTON CHURCH LANE
4/2 Church of Holy Cross
Parish Church. c1300, mid C14 and early C15. Restored 1852-54. Flint with
ashlar quoins and thatched roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. C14 tower
of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses. Moulded ogee west door with hood mould
on labels leading to integral porch. 3-light west window above string course
of reticulation units within larger units. Clock face above. 2-light cusped
belfry windows in third stage. Plain parapet. South nave with central flat
buttress, 3 3-light early C15 panel traceried windows. Restored 2-light windows
to west and east beside diagonal buttresses, the latter below remains of blocked
rectangular rood loft window. Low coped parapet on kneelers. Chancel with
2 2-light trefoiled Y windows flanking arched Priest's door. Diagonal eastern
buttresses. 3-light east window of intersecting ogee type of mid C14: trefoil
cusps support lozenges below encircled cinquefoil vesica. Chancel north contains
one 2-light Perpendicular window and a trefoil lancet. Angle buttress to nave.
Rood loft stairs. 2 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches.
Central buttress. Brick 2 storey north porch now vestry. Arched and moulded
entrance. Diagonal buttresses. Square headed one-light windows to each floor.
Interior Double wave moulded tower arch with polygonal capitals partly blocked
with timber to form ringing gallery. Benches installed 1839. 4-centred tomb
recess in north wall. Low doorway to parvis to west. Very fine scissor braced
roof of early C14 with collars covered with early C15 chestnut panelling
decorated with transverse and longitudinal ribs and foliate bosses. Remains
of original paint. Battlemented wall plate. Early C17 pulpit panelled with
deep top rail with lunette carving. Base of screen. 2 misericord stalls abut
screen. Early Cl7 brass chandelier of ball and baluster turnings. 2 tiers
of 9 branches rise from central shaft. Trefoil piscina in chancel.
Listing NGR: TL9593897527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings