This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3952 / 52°23'42"N
Longitude: 0.8262 / 0°49'34"E
OS Eastings: 592388
OS Northings: 281217
OS Grid: TL923812
Mapcode National: GBR RDJ.ZML
Mapcode Global: VHKCM.82M6
Entry Name: The College
Listing Date: 21 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219839
Location: Brettenham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24
Civil Parish: Brettenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Rushford St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 98 SW
8/4 The College
Secular College, now residence. Founded and built 1342 by Edmund Gonville,
restored c. 1850's by S.S. Teulon. Flint with stone quoins and dressings.
L plan but originally quadrangular. 2 storeys and attic. North facade
detailing all C19. Central 2 storey porch with cusped and moulded doorway.
Ashlar upper storey with cusped windows and steep spired roof. External
chimney to left originally served 2 storey hall, now rebuilt with C19 stack.
No ground floor windows below string course. Mullioned and cusped first
floor windows to left and elaborate 5-light cusped window to right through
1 1/2 storeys. The window is arched with stone dressings and blank quatrefoil
frieze at sill. Broad reticulated transom above stylised tree in vertical
panel. Tall eccentric gable above separates 2 C19 stacks. Courtyard wall
of west range contains 4 C14 upper windows, one of 2 lights, the remainder
single. 3 original arched openings to ground floor now blocked with windows.
Rear of north range has arched doorway opposite entrance porch suggesting
original through passage plan. Numerous mullioned C19 windows and large
bay window to parlour. One gabled dormer in each range. Interior has remains
of doors to service wing at west end of hall beyond passage. Parlour is
lower portion of 2 storey open hall with tie beams relocated as ceiling beams,
probably during alterations by Earl of Surrey in mid C16. Beams have double
ogee mouldings dating from foundation. Some C17 panelling in rear room not
in situ. Remains of several C16 roof rafters. The College is important
in conjuction with collegiate church to north as one of few remaining
examples. E.K. Bennet, Historical Memorials of the College of St. John the
Evangelist, Rushworth or Rushford, CO. Norfolk, Norwich, 1887.
Listing NGR: TL9238881217
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings