This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4118 / 52°24'42"N
Longitude: 0.8343 / 0°50'3"E
OS Eastings: 592868
OS Northings: 283087
OS Grid: TL928830
Mapcode National: GBR RDC.MS3
Mapcode Global: VHKCF.DMXZ
Entry Name: Shadwell Court
Listing Date: 18 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219827
Location: Brettenham, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24
Civil Parish: Brettenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Rushford St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 98 SW
Country House of complex plan. c.1720, rebuilt 1840-42 by Edward Blore
and 1856-60 by S.S. Teulon. Caen stone, ashlar, brick and flint with slate
roofs. 3-4 storeys. Jacobean and Gothic east facade. Central tower over
entrance with elaborately cusped ogee arch above two orders of irontwist shafts
with naturalistic foliage capitals and other carving. Oriel windows through
2 storeys with flushwork above. Stair turret begins at roof line. Flanking
wings with shaped gables, varied fenestration, pinnacles and chimney stacks
are linked to tower by stepped ranges. Overall balanced asymmetry and
strikingly punctuated skyline. South and west facades largely by Blore.
Shaped gables, octagonal corner pinnacles, first floor sting course riding
over 2 storey bay windows and canted oriels on moulded aprons. Straight
headed mullion and transom windows. Punched and balustraded parapets.
interior of house dominated by cruciform music hall spanning width of building
and terminating in 4-light Perpendicular window, originally with stained
glass. Each arm of varying size with good timber roofs, all different.
Crossing piers articulated by engaged marble shafts with foliage capitals
and some figures. Some panelling. Central crossing roof of cusped and
notched quadripartite braces on carved corbels supporting timber drop pendant
for chandelier. All timber work of highest quality but carpenter unknown.
Great dining room of 1856-60 has tall mullioned windows, 4 centred wall arches
with profuse carving and large bay window entered through similar stone archway.
Heavy moulded corbels support flat panelled timber ceiling. Library, originally
drawing room of 1720's remodelled by Blore with fine Victorian plaster ceiling.
New drawing room by Blore with similar ceiling, slightly coved, and late C18
mark Girouard, Country Life 136i, 1964, pp. 18-21, 98-102.
Listing NGR: TL9286883087
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings