History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Archway Forming Entrance to St Martin's Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4933 / 53°29'35"N

Longitude: -0.7862 / 0°47'10"W

OS Eastings: 480621

OS Northings: 400302

OS Grid: SE806003

Mapcode National: GBR QXY1.KH

Mapcode Global: WHFFK.WGSB

Entry Name: Archway Forming Entrance to St Martin's Churchyard

Listing Date: 25 March 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165198

Location: Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Owston Ferry

Built-Up Area: Owston Ferry

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Owston Ferry St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Ferry

Listing Text

SE 8000-8100 OWSTON FERRY CHURCH STREET
(south side)

21/134 Archway forming entrance
to St Martin's churchyard
25.3.76

GV II

Archway. 1859 for Archdeacon Stonehouse of Owston Ferry, and his sister-in-
law Frances Sanders. Limestone ashlar. Gothic style. Crenellated stepped
tripartite gateway with central carriage arch flanked by lower pedestrian
arches and short lower wing walls. East and west sides both have chamfered
plinth, buttresses with offsets flanking pointed chamfered arches with
hoodmoulds and head stops. East side, facing street, has worn dedication
inscription in Gothic lettering over arches, and a pair of armorial relief
tablets in spandrels to central arch: one shield with arms of Stonehouse
impaling Sanders, the other a lozenge with arms of Frances Sanders. Ridge-
coped crenellations throughout. Pedestrian entrances have ornate Gothic-
style cast-iron gates with dog-bars, decorative panels and finials. William
Stonehouse and Frances Sanders were both notable local benefactors: in 1840
Stonehouse provided the church porch (in similar style to the churchyard
archway), and Frances Sanders, besides gifts to the church, provided the
Market Place Lamp (qv) and the Almshouses in Bagsby Lane (qv). J Veale and
P J Hills, Owston St Martin and West Butterwick, St Mary, A Guide and Short
History, 1967, pp 2, 11.


Listing NGR: SE8062100302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.