History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Smethwick, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4948 / 52°29'41"N

Longitude: -1.9713 / 1°58'16"W

OS Eastings: 402043

OS Northings: 288542

OS Grid: SP020885

Mapcode National: GBR 5H3.LK

Mapcode Global: VH9YV.SK6C

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 29 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219365

Location: Sandwell, B67

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Smethwick

Built-Up Area: Smethwick

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB TRINITY STREET/SOUTH ROAD
SP 08 NW
HIGH STREET, SMETHWICK
9/144 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1887 - 9 by Francis Bacon of Newbury. Tower and spire, and some
re-used stone, remain from previous church of 1838 by Thomas Johnson of
Lichfield. Punched sandstone ashlar with some limestone dressings and
imitation slate roofs. Comprises a west tower with spire, nave and chancel
under a continuous roof, and north and south aisles under pitched roofs.
The west tower has clasping buttresses, and a pointed west doorway with
lancet window above. On each side are two lancet bell openings. The spire
is set back behind a parapet. Both aisles have a west window of four lights
with Geometrical tracery. The aisles have paired lancet windows with buttresses
between bays. The north aisle is of five bays and has a doorway to the right
of its eastern bay. The south aisle is of four bays, with a gabled porch to
the left which has a pointed doorway. The east window of the north aisle
is a triple stepped lancet above a lean-to Vestry. The east windows of the
south aisle and chancel have Geometrical tracery, the former of three lights,
the latter of six lights. Interior: five-bay arcades with round piers, foliated
capitals and pointed arches. Two western bays on each side filled by late C20
concrete block walls and west end of nave partitioned to form foyer. Main nave
roof trusses have tie-beams, arch-braced collars, king-posts and central vertical
iron rods. Alternate trusses have scissor-braced collars. The moulded pointed
chancel arch has clustered columns as responds.


Listing NGR: SP0204388542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.