History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

District Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Tipton Green, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5238 / 52°31'25"N

Longitude: -2.0581 / 2°3'29"W

OS Eastings: 396156

OS Northings: 291769

OS Grid: SO961917

Mapcode National: GBR 4W8.MP

Mapcode Global: VH9YM.8TVM

Entry Name: District Public Library

Listing Date: 10 February 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219370

Location: Sandwell, DY4

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Tipton Green

Built-Up Area: Tipton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Tipton St Martin and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Tipton

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB VICTORIA ROAD/MAYFAIR GARDENS
SO 99 SE
Tipton
4/149 District Public Library
10.2.82
II

Public library. 1905 by George H Wenyon. Red brick with bands of yellow
terra cotta and tile roof. Free style. Main buildings of one storey.
Entrance at base of tower, facing Victoria Road. Tower has corner buttresses
and a domed lantern. Above the round-arched doorway is a terra cotta panel
with inscription: "Tipton Free Library AD 1905". To the right are five bays
which have windows of three lights with transom, separated by buttresses.
Gables over second and fourth bays. A foundation stone is inscribed:
"Erected by the Munificence of Andrew Carnegie Esq .....". To the left of
the tower is the gable of a wing which faces Mayfair Gardens. The lower part
of the wall is canted and has two 2-light mullioned windows. Above is a
round-headed window with mullions and transom. The left hand return wall
of this wing is of five bays separated by buttresses and has windows of four
lights with transom, except for the right hand bay which contains a canted
bay window.


Listing NGR: SO9615691769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.