History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial to James Chance in West Smethwick Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Smethwick, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4983 / 52°29'53"N

Longitude: -1.991 / 1°59'27"W

OS Eastings: 400706

OS Northings: 288928

OS Grid: SP007889

Mapcode National: GBR 5C2.7B

Mapcode Global: VH9YV.FGSP

Entry Name: Memorial to James Chance in West Smethwick Park

Listing Date: 29 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219389

Location: Sandwell, B66

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pauls

Built-Up Area: Smethwick

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Smethwick The Resurrection

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sandwell

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB WEST PARK ROAD (off)
SP 08 NW
Smethwick
9/168 Memorial to James Chance
in West Smethwick Park

II

Memorial. Circa 1900. Brick and terra cotta. Comprises a centrepiece
flanked by concave walls, approached by steps. The flanking walls terminate
in brick piers and incorporate terra cotta seats. The centrepiece is flanked
by paired columns supporting an entablature with decorated frieze and modillion
cornice, surmounted by a broken pediment. The latter has swept sides and a
central finial. A central oval recess contains a bronze bust. Below is an
inscribed plaque:

"James J Chance MA JP DL. For fifty years a partner in the firm
of Chance Brothers & Co at the Glass Works Smethwick and at the
Akali Works Oldbury.

"He purchased the land for the Park, laid it out and endowed it and
on September 7th 1895 opened it a gift to the public for ever. He
also made the roads on the east and west boundaries."


Listing NGR: SP0070688928

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.