This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5031 / 52°30'11"N
Longitude: -2.0149 / 2°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 399083
OS Northings: 289469
OS Grid: SO990894
Mapcode National: GBR 550.YL
Mapcode Global: VH9YV.1B4Y
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 29 October 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077136
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219266
Location: Sandwell, B69
Electoral Ward/Division: Oldbury
Built-Up Area: Oldbury (Sandwell)
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Oldbury
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SANDWELL MB CHURCH SQUARE
SO 9989 SW
17/60 Christ Church
Church. 1840 - 41 by Johnson. Brick in English bond with sandstone
dressings and slate roof. Comprises a nave, north-west tower, north and
south aisles under pitched roofs, lower chancel, and a lean-to vestry
against the east end of the south aisle. The tower has clasping buttresses
to the lower stage. On the west side is a lancet window, on the north a
pointed doorway, with a clock face above. The bell openings are in two
stages, both set back slightly. Both have three narrow chamfered lancets,
the lower ones with stone surrounds. The parapet has corner pinnacles.
At the west end of the nave is a door with gabled stone surround and pointed
chamfered doorway. It is flanked by lancet windows, with a third lancet above.
The aisles are both of five bays separated by buttresses and with paired
chamfered lancets. At the west end of the south aisle is a pointed doorway.
Both aisles have east windows of paired chamfered lancets. The east chancel
window has triple stepped lancets. Interior: walls and ceiling plastered.
Five-bay arcade of moulded pointed arches springing from octagonal columns.
Galleries on three sides. Flat ceiling with moulded transverse ribs and
corbelled wall-posts; east end divided into square panels. Faded stencil
decoration. Timber pulpit in a Gothic style. Clerestory windows with
glass of c1840; east window in memory of William Chance, died 1856; one
west window by Thomas William Camm of Smethwick, c1910.
Listing NGR: SO9908389469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings