History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Big House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oldbury, Sandwell

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5053 / 52°30'19"N

Longitude: -2.0162 / 2°0'58"W

OS Eastings: 398998

OS Northings: 289711

OS Grid: SO989897

Mapcode National: GBR 25Z.SS

Mapcode Global: VH9YV.09H8

Entry Name: The Big House

Listing Date: 18 January 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219276

Location: Sandwell, B69

County: Sandwell

Electoral Ward/Division: Oldbury

Built-Up Area: Oldbury (Sandwell)

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Oldbury

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Oldbury

Listing Text

SANDWELL MB CHURCH STREET (west side)
SO 9889 NE
SO 9989 NW Oldbury
15/67 No 44 (The Big House)
16/67
18.1.50
GV II*

House, now offices. Early C18. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone
dressings and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. A symmetrical composition
of three storeys and five bays with chamfered quoins. Windows are boxed sashes
with glazing bars and stone lintels with keystones. Band above each storey,
and moulded eaves cornice. Door of eight raised and fielded panels with
panelled reveals. Timber doorcase of reeded engaged columns and swan-necked
pediment, the latter closed at the top by an additional open triangular pediment.
Within the pediment is painted: "AD 1705". At the rear some windows have elliptical
brick arches. Interior: the principal ground floor rooms each have an exposed
ceiling beam. The right hand front room has an inglenook fireplace with re-used
timber bressummer and panelled jambs, now containing a cast iron hob grate with
Adamesque decoration. The open-well stair has an open string, three turned
balusters to each tread, and a ramped and wreathed handrail. The interior doors
are mostly of raised and fielded panels. On the second floor are two panelled
doors of c1700.


Listing NGR: SO9899889711

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.