This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5925 / 52°35'32"N
Longitude: -1.9865 / 1°59'11"W
OS Eastings: 401013
OS Northings: 299408
OS Grid: SP010994
Mapcode National: GBR 2BY.GKX
Mapcode Global: WHBG1.G39C
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219150
Location: Walsall, WS2
Electoral Ward/Division: Birchills Leamore
Built-Up Area: Walsall
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Walsall St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WALSALL MB STAFFORD STREET
SP 09 NW
7/94 Church of St Peter
Church. Begun 1839 and consecrated in 1841, by Isaac Highway of Walsall,
with chancel added in 1910. Brick with slate and tile roofs. Orientation
reversed, but for purposes of description assumed to be conventional.
Comprises a west tower, nave, and lower chancel. Tower has angle buttresses
to lower stage, with attached octagonal shafts above, which terminate as
pinnacles. There are three string courses, one below an embattled parapet.
Below the lancet bell openings are clock faces. Above the pointed west
doorway is a lancet window. To each side of the tower, in the angle with
the west wall of the nave, is a low porch, each with a door to the west and
a lancet window to the side. The nave is of seven bays, with lancets
separated by buttresses. The chancel is of two bays to the north and one
to the south, with paired lancets, and has triple stepped lancets to the
east. Interior: west gallery with blind tracery front carried on iron
columns. Queen-post roof has outer struts and diagonal cusped braces to
the principals. The chancel has a pointed stone arch and an open timber
roof with arch-braced collars. The narrower sanctuary has a pointed moulded
stone arch. The windows have stone inner arches with detached shafts. There
are twin sedilia, and an alabaster reredos. The carved timber pulpit with
stone base was given in 1904 and is carved with tracery decoration.(VCH, Staffs,
Vol VII, p 236).
Listing NGR: SP0101399408
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings