History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and Attached Presbytery

A Grade II* Listed Building in St Matthew's, Walsall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5801 / 52°34'48"N

Longitude: -1.9835 / 1°59'0"W

OS Eastings: 401216

OS Northings: 298031

OS Grid: SP012980

Mapcode National: GBR 2D3.YZ

Mapcode Global: WHBG1.HDQW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and Attached Presbytery

Listing Date: 31 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219157

Location: Walsall, WS1

County: Walsall

Electoral Ward/Division: St Matthew's

Built-Up Area: Walsall

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Walsall St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Walsall

Listing Text

In the entry for;

WALSALL VICARAGE WALK
SP 0198 SW
15/99 Church of St Mary
and attached presbytery
II


the grade shall be amended to read, II* (star).

------------------------------------

WALSALL MB VICARAGE WALK
SP 0198 SW
15/99 Church of St Mary
and attached presbytery
- II
Roman Catholic church. 1825 - 7 by Joseph Ireland, with presbytery of
1833. Stuccoed brick with slate roof. Greek style, with moulded plinth,
giant Doric pilasters, entablature, and pediments at east and west. West
wall has clasping pilasters, and two further pilasters flanking the doorway,
which slopes inwards towards the top. This has an architrave and moulded
cornice. The north and south walls are each of five bays, the outer ones
recessed between pilasters. The windows have lugged architraves and a sill
band. The east wall is similar to the west wall, but has no openings.
To its left is a single storey one-bay link to the presbytery, which is
pedimented and of two storeys and three bays. The two left-hand bays have
a single bay window on the ground floor. The doorway is in the right hand
bay. Interior: the church has a shallow coffered tunnel vault. The west
gallery with organ is carried on two Doric columns. At the east end are
four engaged fluted Ionic columns with entablature, with pilasters on the
return walls which have acanthus necking.


Listing NGR: SP0121698031

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.