History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in South Acre, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6969 / 52°41'48"N

Longitude: 0.6778 / 0°40'40"E

OS Eastings: 581048

OS Northings: 314391

OS Grid: TF810143

Mapcode National: GBR Q7B.XWV

Mapcode Global: WHKQP.DG0T

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 9 July 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220941

Location: South Acre, Breckland, Norfolk, PE32

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: South Acre

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: South Acre St George

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Castle Acre

Listing Text

TF 81 SW SOUTH ACRE

4/38 Old Rectory
9.7.51

GV II

Former rectory. Late C18 and later. Brick, re-used limestone ashlar, knapped
flint and gault brick. Flat roof to front block, pantiles to rear. 2
storeyed front block. 3-bay symmetrical facade with 2 full height bays,
segmental in plan, with tripartite sash windows with glazing bars beneath
rendered skewback arches. Centre bay with a 2-leaf panelled front door
beneath a traceried semicircular fanlight and within a doorcase consisting
of a pair engaged reeded Roman Doric columns supporting a renewed broken
pediment. Single sash window with glazing bars at first floor beneath a
rendered skewback arch. Parapet with stone coping. East facade. Later
canted bay to side of front block with 6 sash windows with glazing bars (one
blind) beneath gault brick skewback arches. Middle bay consists of gable-
end of rear block which has a datestone (1841) at base of gable. The fabric
is of galletted flint with re-used ashlar and gault brick dressings. 3
storeys and 2 bays of sash windows with glazing bars beneath skewback arches.
Gable with tumbling-in. Lower additions to north with a 2-storey canted bay
and sash windows with glazing bars. West facade has sash windows with glazing
bars, a pedimented doorcase on pilasters and outbuildings projecting westwards
forming a courtyard. Interior. Original swept staircase with square sectioned
balasters open string and mahogany handrail.


Listing NGR: TF8104814391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.