This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7162 / 52°42'58"N
Longitude: 0.9886 / 0°59'18"E
OS Eastings: 601957
OS Northings: 317357
OS Grid: TG019173
Mapcode National: GBR SB6.QRQ
Mapcode Global: WHLRS.5Z0L
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220784
Location: Swanton Morley, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Swanton Morley
Built-Up Area: Swanton Morley
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TG 01 NW, 4/37
MILL STREET (south-east side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church. Begun before 1379 when a bequest was made to the rebuilding
of the church. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. West tower flanked
by aisles; aisled nave with south porch; chancel with rib-vaulted crypt
beneath eastern part and modern vestry to north. Lower stages of tower with
western angle buttresses infilled with diagonal sections of walling, providing
space for a stair to south. Elaborate plinth with flushwork and blind
quatrefoils covering also western ends of aisles. Moulded 2-centred west doorway
with a 3-light traceried window above with embattled transom. Upper 2 stages
of tower probably C15 with diagonal buttresses, sound holes with reticulated
tracery and very large 4-light bell openings with Perpendicular tracery.
Crenellated parapet with flushwork. Eight exceptional very tall early
Perpendicular 3-light aisle windows with flat heads beneath relieving arches.
Embattled transoms at mid height, panel traceried heads, quatrefoil spandrels
and elaborate cusping. West aisle windows similar but with arched heads.
East aisle windows of four lights especially close in design to some of the choir
clearstorey windows of Norwich Cathedral (c.1370). Six 3-light plainly traceried
chancel windows with a 5-light east window. Priest's doorway to south. Eight
quatrefoil clerestorey windows and a 3-light traceried window in eastern nave
gable. Moulded north and south doorways with floral carvings. C15 south
porch with original roof timbers.
INTERIOR. Three deeply moulded tower arches
on semicircular responds. Contemporary chancel arch. 4-bay arcade supported
on slender piers with opposing semicircular responds on the east/west axis
and uninterrupted continuation of arch mouldings on the north and south sides.
Arch-braced nave roof with moulded wall plate and alternate wall posts.
Restored hammer-beam chancel roof. Arch-braced aisle roofs originally double-pitched,
but now lean-to after replacement of common rafters. Rustic, probably
post-Medieval, seating with shaped bench ends. Plain octagonal font.
Listing NGR: TG0195717357
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings