This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6148 / 52°36'53"N
Longitude: 0.9111 / 0°54'39"E
OS Eastings: 597176
OS Northings: 305872
OS Grid: TF971058
Mapcode National: GBR SCG.34P
Mapcode Global: WHLS9.ZJ0S
Entry Name: Letton Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1077342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220796
Location: Cranworth, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Cranworth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cranworth with Letton and Southburgh
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 90 NE
5/5 Letton Hall
Mansion converted into a Christian holiday, house party and conference centre.
1783-89 with major Victorian alterations. Designed by Sir John Soane.
Gault brick with some stone dressings and some colour-washed red brick to
service wing. Slate roofs. Main block square in plan originally with lower
services to west. Main block of 3 storeys with basement. Entrance facade
altered considerably during C19 by the replacement of the porch and the
forward extension of the library. 3 bays. Very deep central porch mainly
single storeyed, yet supporting on rear third a first floor advancement.
Pair of unfluted Doric columns in antis (thought to be re-used from Soane's
original segmental porch) with a full Doric entablature. Semicircular headed
doorway with fanlight and a 2-leaf panelled door. Flat roof with a short
parapet. First floor advancement has a tripartite sash window within a
classical stone surround with cornice and central pediment on consoles.
Balustrade above with the arch of Soane's recessed centre bay just visible
behind. Victorian single-storeyed advancement to east with a semicircular
headed plate glass sash window and a flat roof. Original windows with
glazing bars: recessed and semicircular at ground and first floor levels,
rectangular beneath skewback arches to upper storey. Plain 3-header dentil
cornice with a short stone parapet. East facade of 5 bays with central 3
bays slightly advanced, supporting a pediment and reached by a flight of
steps flanked by balustrades. Semicircular headed sash windows to ground
and first floors, recessed in central 3 bays. Ground floor windows with
Victorian plate glass, small top floor windows with skewback arches.
Original windows with glazing bars. Victorian single-storeyed extension
with a large Venetian French window formerly providing access to a
conservatory. Doric entablature. Services arranged around a courtyard to
west with various later changes. South facade nearly symmetrical of 2
storeys and 10 bays. Slightly advanced end bays gabled to east only.
Slightly advanced central 5 bays originally single-storeyed. End bay
openings set within single semicircular heads, containing arches. Semi-
circular headed ground floor windows with glazing bars. Upper windows mainly
rectangular with skewback arches. Some windows blind. Interior. Fine stair-
case of double apsidal plan with cantilevered stone treads and thin beaded
wrought iron balusters with volutes supporting the swept handrail and the
surprisingly abstract motif of an angled oblong to every other baluster.
Several rooms with good plasterwork and some original chimney pieces survive.
Listing NGR: TF9717605872
Other nearby listed buildings