History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lyng House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lyng, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7042 / 52°42'15"N

Longitude: 1.0631 / 1°3'47"E

OS Eastings: 607043

OS Northings: 316243

OS Grid: TG070162

Mapcode National: GBR TCT.KKW

Mapcode Global: WHLS0.99G6

Entry Name: Lyng House

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220739

Location: Lyng, Breckland, Norfolk, NR9

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Lyng

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Lyng St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Lyng

Listing Text

TG 01 NE LYNG PRIMROSE GREEN

4/33 Lyng House
4.12.51
- II

Farmhouse. 1734 engraved on a west gable tie-ends. The tie-ends form initials
I.B. Brick with pantile roofs. Rectangular main block with lower, yet
contemporary, service wing to side. 2 storeys with attic. Service wing
one storey with attic. High quality brickwork with black headers forming
vertical stripes between window bays. Symmetrical main block of 7 bays
with a central late C18 raised and fielded panelled door with a pedimented
doorcase on pilasters. Blind window above with a Norwich Union insurance
plaque No.10282. Modern aluminium windows in original openings. 2 surviving
late C18 sash windows with glazing bars flanking front door. These windows
have been rendered blind by the late C18 entrance hall which has plaster
coved niches filling the window spaces. Skewback arches to ground floor
windows. Plaster coved cornice. Gable-end stacks, the eastern stack with
angled shafts, possibly surviving from an earlier structure. Service wing
with one original 4-light mullion and transom window beneath a skewback
arch. Plaster coved cornice. 2 late C19 gabled dormers with shaped barge
boards. Later additions to side,front and rear. Interior mainly late C18
with one surviving duck's nest fire grate and several surrounds with
pilasters and moulded and carved mantel pieces. Hall with York stone floor
and staircase of square section balusters on open string with shaped tread
ends and swept handrail. Original butt-purlin roof.


Listing NGR: TG0704316243

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.