History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elsing Mill Including Wheel House and Wheel Adjoining East

A Grade II Listed Building in Elsing, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.718 / 52°43'4"N

Longitude: 1.0336 / 1°2'0"E

OS Eastings: 604987

OS Northings: 317690

OS Grid: TG049176

Mapcode National: GBR TCL.Q39

Mapcode Global: WHLRS.VYC5

Entry Name: Elsing Mill Including Wheel House and Wheel Adjoining East

Listing Date: 20 August 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077361

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220747

Location: Elsing, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Elsing

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Elsing St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Bawdeswell

Listing Text

The following item shall be added:

TG 01 NE ELSING MILL STREET

3/41 Elsing Mill
including Wheel House
and wheel adjoining
east

II

Water Mill, converted into a house. 1809, converted in late C20.
Painted brick and weatherboarded timber frame on second floor.
Pantile roof with shaped barge boards to gable ends. Brick gable
end stacks. L-shaped on plan with wing at rear of right hand end
(SW) wheel house at left (east) end and outshut on right (west)
end. 3 storeys and attic. 4 window north front with C20 casement
windows, those on ground floor and first floor are segmentally
headed openings. Doorway at centre, another on first floor to
right. Gabled hoist housing cantilevered out to right of centre
above eaves. Single storey weatherboarded wheelhouse on left
(east) end with painted brick gable end and pantile roof; at
rear the wheelhouse has 2 windows with boarded shutters and plank
door to left. At rear of main mill building the wing on right has
gable end. INTERIOR: unchamfered cross-beams on hanging knee
braces. Some timber framing exposed at rear end and on second
floor. Tenoned (or butt) purlin roofs but over main range the
purlins are missing. All machinery has been removed except for
sluice gates and gearing in rear wing and in the wheel-house
low-breast undershot treble wheel with cast iron naves, arms and
rings and wooden shaft and floats survive intact.

Note: Built in 1809 as a paper mill on the site of an earlier
mill. In 1834 or before it became a corn and seed crushing mill
and was the Bylaugh estate mill before it was sold in 1917. Water
power was replaced by electricity in circa 1930's and later
stones were replaced by a hammer mill. Machinery was taken out
when it was converted into a house in the late C20. Situated on
River Wensum.


Listing NGR: TG0498717690

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.