History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Riddlesworth, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3942 / 52°23'39"N

Longitude: 0.889 / 0°53'20"E

OS Eastings: 596666

OS Northings: 281284

OS Grid: TL966812

Mapcode National: GBR SFY.X5Q

Mapcode Global: VHKCN.C2BX

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 16 July 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 220610

Location: Riddlesworth, Breckland, Norfolk, IP22

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

Civil Parish: Riddlesworth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Riddlesworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Coney Weston

Listing Text

TL 98 SE RIDDLESWORTH

5/90 Church of St.Peter
16/7/58
- II*

Parish church. Early C14 with C18 repairs and C19 restoration. Flint with
ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3
stage tower with diagonal buttresses to west, angle to east. Stilted doorways
to north and south with moulded jambs, the south with hood on head stops,
the north blocked with lancet window. Above south door one trefoiled ogee
niche. String courses define stages. Trefoil light to ringing chamber on
south. Restored Y tracery 2-light belfry windows below crenellated parapet.
Gabled south porch with C19 cinquefoiled side lights and simple wave moulded
inner south door. All windows C19 of various types between flat buttresses
: on south 2-light cusped under square hood and 2 2-light trefoiled with
reticulation unit over. One of each type to north nave east of blocked arched
north door. Dentil eaves cornice to nave. Diagonal chancel buttresses and
3-light Perpendicular east window, the chancel buttresses and quoins in gault
brick. trefoil arched light to north chancel. Gabled C19 vestry at east of
nave north with tall chimney. Interior. Rood stairs of nave in centre of
south side suggests C19 extension of nave. C19 roof of 2 tiers; butt purlins
and braces to collars. Chancel roof similar. Late Cl7 irontwist altar rails
with moulded handrails and pair of central gates, quadruple irontwist balusters
at Intervals. Plain octagonal font. Painted Royal Arms of Charles II dated
1666. Early C17 pulpit panelled with rosette decorated arches and top panels.
Tester with frieze and pendants. Fine marble wall monument in nave north
wall to Sir Drue Drury 1617. 3 scrolled brackets support inscribed tablet
and plinth upon which stand 2 robed angels each parting curtain to reveal
Sir Drue Drury kneeling before reading table. Putto head looks from ceiling
of curtained niche under semi-circular projection with Doric frieze decorated
with 4 coloured shields, 2 further heraldic shields within moulded roundels
stand on cornice framing achievement under bow fronted open pediment.


Listing NGR: TL9666681284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.